The Southern Lake District :: Arrowtown to Queenstown

If you're anything like me (a newbie photographer) you may find more often than not you get so excited on fresh outings and soaking in the beauty around you that you get a little snap-happy and take waaay more photos than anyone cares to endure as you give the play by play of your recent adventure...

This happens to me. Often. For those who know me well also know that I am quite skilled at over-complicating just about anything... I'm about the details, which can leave me down in the weeds on many occasion, requiring the hand of another to help me come up for air and perspective after a fresh survey of the land.  Basically, what I am trying to say is that I took way too many pictures on our outing to Queenstown and have had much trouble picking just a handful to share with you...

Queenstown was fabulous. Let me start there. I won't bore you with all the details, but I will say that this is one city I am excited to visit again in a few months when my parents come to town. And Queenstown is definitely an adrenalin junkies dream. Just a quick Google search will overwhelm the faint of heart by the plethora of options available to anyone intending to open their pocket book and take part in the hype. Perhaps next time I will. However, Shannon, Royal, and I took a more laid back approach to our outing. And it was fabulous!  Meandering the sun-soaked streets, checking out the little boutiques, and a wonderful lakeside lunch in the park complete with the locally famous Fergburger - A must try for the burger enthusiest! I ordered the lamb burger with mint jelly, garlic aoli, red onion and tomato relish. Delish! While Shannon went the more traditional route with beef, cheddar and the classic toppings.

Only 35 miles, but about a 60 minute drive from Wanaka, the landscape along this route is stunning! (again you are encouraged to Google!) We stopped for a number of scenic shots along the drive and sure enough one after the other, breathtaking views of vast alpine ranges and the deep green valleys below... If you're curious why it takes 60 minutes to only travel about 35 miles, its because just before you drop into Arrowtown the switchbacks become fierce as you decend into the valley and you must slow waaay down to avoid sailing off the cliffs Thelma and Louise style.

On our way to Queenstown we made a quick stop in Arrowtown. An adorable, teeny town trapped in the days of yesteryear, celebrating the Chinese settlets who migrated there in hopes of striking it rich during the gold rush. Honestly, I didn't realize gold was a commodity sought after in New Zealand, but this little town provides proof that at least at one point in history it was. There are many cute shops and cafes to checkout and I believe is definitely worth your time while on your way to Queenstown for that whitewater rafting trip, bungy escapade or hanggliding adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...